· Total labor: 77.25 hours.
· Deconstruction of original dress: 20 hours.
· Drafting: 4 hours.
· Hand sewing 28 roses: 11 hours.
· Ruching and beading contrast band by hand: 6 hours.
· Original dress cost about $25; Peace silk and China silk cost about $550; approximate cost of dress (labor plus materials) would be about $5,000.
And the final, stunning recycled gown...
A close-fitting sheath, mounted on boned corselette, of off-white, re-purposed, poly shantung with front and back V neckline, center back zipper embellished with pearl buttons and asymmetrical, off the shoulder decorative strap embellished with hand sewn roses made of shantung, gold Amity Peace Silk, beaded lace motifs, and moss green China silk leaves and tendrils; dropped, asymmetrical waist with contrast shaped band of closely hand ruched and beaded gold Amity Peace Silk embellished at side front with roses, leaves, and tendrils; gathered, circular shantung overskirt with asymmetrical front split, trimmed with triple ruffle of shantung, Peace Silk, and lace, revealing gold double layered Amity Peace Silk underskirt with ivory cotton Cluny lace edging at hem, and attached crinoline; detachable, nine foot long train in Austrian-style ruched gold double layered Peace Silk with Cluny lace edging; silk six foot long wrap in purple with narrow hems.