Our vision is for the Bay and its tributary rivers to be broadly recognized as a national treasure, and to be highly productive and in good health as measured by water clarity, lack of toxic contaminants, and abundance of natural filters in the water and on the land. We have a significant challenge ahead of us.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s headquarters are located at the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, one of the world’s most energy-efficient buildings. It incorporates natural elements into a fully functional workplace, which has minimal impact on its Bay- and creek-front surroundings.
All materials are made of recycled products or created through processes that don't damage the environment. The Merrill Center is the first building to receive the U.S. Green Building Council's Platinum rating for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). The facility fully incorporates green initiatives like recycling, water conservation, energy efficiency, and more.
The Philip Merrill Center is an excellent location for a smaller Bay-front wedding. Also, CBF has a new easy-to-use program that allows couples to create a customized page on the CBF website (including your own text and photos) to collect donations in lieu of wedding gifts.
For the bride & groom…
- Choose sustainability over convenience.
- Actively look for ways to reduce your impact—from recycling, to using environmentally friendly cleaning supplies, to biking/walking instead of driving.
- Plant a garden or a rain-garden.
- Eat locally grown organic foods, including pasture-fed meats.
- And find any way you can to consume less!